In September 2014, our volunteers created a Facebook group named UkraineSlovakiaSOS which provides information on current needs as well as support collected and delivered to Ukraine. As a volunteer movement of support to Ukraine it’s been two years since we started to take care of the Ukrainian wounded soldiers who were undergoing medical treatment and rehabilitation in Slovakia and Austria. We used to buy medicines and healthcare supplies for the Ukrainian hospitals, collected and shipped clothes, shoes, toys, baby food, hygiene products for the kids of the fallen Ukrainian heroes, children’s homes and internally displaced persons.
Our volunteer activity has resulted in establishment of Charitable Fund “Ukraine – Slovakia SOS” in Ukraine and “SME SPOLU” (English meaning: “We are together”) in Slovakia.
The aims of these organizations are:
- development and implementation of humanitarian projects to assist Ukraine;
- representation of the Ukrainian community in various scopes of public life in Slovakia;
- acquiring information on the needs of migrants who have come to Slovakia and those who have already started to integrate with the Slovak community, protection of their interests, consulting and providing other informational support.
- promotion and development of cooperation in both public and private sectors; creation of a dialogue platform in commercial and public scopes of the Ukrainian-Slovak relations;
- conservation, development and popularization of the Ukrainian culture in Slovakia and European Union as a whole.